December 03, 2003

headed off for Erebus, quick note

Hi All,

Well, it looks like I might be headed out for the long-ago mentioned volcano, after 13 days of being stalled by weather (and a weekend). However, of course, one never knows, until she is actually disembarking from the aircraft, whether she will actually reach the destination. The first two flights of our group have taken off, and it's looking promising.

I am more relieved than I thought I'd be. It's way past time for me to get out of town, back in the field. And I've been getting sucked into the social scene vortex; it's fun on one level, but not why I came to Antarctica. So glad to be going. If it didn't (doesn't) go today, I will lose it to another because of what I'm scheduled for next (running out of time). I really want to get up on this mountain although it's unlikely I'll have the time I'd like to check out the ice caves and all.

So, hopefully you will not hear from me for 4-5 days. Maybe I'll get stuck up there (heartbreaking). A day or two after I'm supposed to get back I head out to do some less than glamourous (paying one's dues in my dept) work at some Automated Geophysical Sites up on the plateau of east Antarctica. Cold, high, white, flat, yee haa for two weeks (plus, depending on weather...).

If I'm lucky I'll get to acclimitize at Pole (yeah, the south pole, where my goal is that headstand) for a few days ahead of time, but if I get stuck on Erebus, that might count for my acclimitization.

Anyway, you will be free of my messages for a few days at least. I hope. You hope!

Be well, and eat lots of good chocolate.

Love to all, Susan